1/2 teaspoon beeswax
1/2 teaspoon shea or cocoa butter
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
Mandolin or sharp knife
Glass measuring cup or jar
Lipstick container or tube
PIN THIS ➷
1. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice beet into thin strips, and lay out on dehydrator screen. Set dehydrator to 120 degrees, and dehydrate for 6 to 8 hours. (You can try cherries, raspberries, cranberries, or strawberries for different tints of red and pink.)
2. Once the beets are thoroughly dried, pulse the chips in spice grinder until you have a fine powder.
3. Bring 1-2 inches of water to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Add beeswax, shea or cocoa butter, and coconut oil to glass measuring cup or jar and set in water. Stir until completely melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon beet root powder, and stir until dissolved. The color of the lipstick will lighten when it cools. If you find the color is not dark enough for your liking, add colorant, and let mixture steep for up to an hour.
Related: Homemade Coconut Oil Soap
4. Remove from heat and pour through a cheese cloth to strain out any larger gritty particles. Twist fabric to wring out.
5. Carefully pour into the lip container, filling until almost overflowing. Let cool for half an hour, or until solid. Enjoy your natural lipstick!