Italian Wedding Soup
This is a hearty, filling soup without a high fat content. A spin on a traditional Italian recipe.
- 4 large cans (48 ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast half, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup orzo
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the broth to a simmer. Add the chicken and onion and cook for 2 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, garlic powder, cheese, and egg. Roll the mixture into teaspoon-size balls, and drop them into the broth. Add the spinach. Let the soup cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the orzo according to the package directions. Add it to the soup just before serving.
- Mypyramid: 1grain
- Mypyramid Meat: 1beans
- Mypyramid: 0vegetable
Browse by category
- Baked Goods and Desserts
- Breakfast and Brunch
- Dressing/ Sauce
- Icing/ Frosting
- Jam/ Preserve
- Main Dishes
- Marinade/ Rub
- Sandwiches and Wraps
- Side Dishes
- Soups and Stews
- Spreads and Sauces