Signs of toxicity can vary depending on what your pet has ingested. But they could include things like vomiting or diarrhea, shaking, lack of coordination, coughing, sneezing, trouble breathing, or seizures. Watch for unusual behavior, too. Lack of appetite, drinking more than usual, sluggishness, and even extreme excitability all suggest that something could be up.
Related: The Scary Reason You Should Never Feed Your Dog A Leftover Corn Cob
In some cases, a potentially poisoned pet might not seem sick at all. Some reactions can take longer to occur than others, and a bigger pet might not have consumed enough of a substance to actually get sick from it, says Rachel Barrack, DVM, integrative veterinarian and owner of Animal Acupuncture. (After all, we’ve all heard about a miracle dog that scarfed down a chocolate bar and was perfectly fine.)
Related: 3 Supplements Holistic Vets Give Their Pets Every Single Day
So keep your eyes peeled for other signs for something gone awry. If you come across a container that’s open or spilled, or find an empty wrapper or torn-open packaging, think about whether your pet could have gotten into the item. If there’s even a chance that the answer could be yes, you should assume that she could be at risk for being poisoned.
When that happens, here’s what you should do:
Put your pet in a safe space. Get him away from the toxin so he can’t ingest any more of it. (You can deal with cleanup later.) If you have any other animals, secure them in a separate space so they can’t come in contact with the poisonous substance or with your pet.
Call the vet ASAP. Even if your pet is acting perfectly normal. “It’s always better to err on the side of caution,” Barrack says. If it’s after-hours and your vet isn’t open, call the nearest 24-hour veterinary hospital or the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency hotline at 1-888-426-4435.
Never try to induce vomiting without your vet’s OK. You could end up making things worse instead of better. “Some ingested products are caustic, and can cause severe esophageal irritation if vomited back up,” Barrack says.
Try to keep your pet from grooming himself. Especially if you think the substance might’ve gotten on his fur or paws. You may need to bathe your pet to wash the contaminant off, but check with your vet first. Washing could cause some chemicals (like those used in flea collars) to be reabsorbed into your pet’s skin, says the nonprofit organization International Cat Care.
Related: 5 First-Aid Essentials Every Pet Owner Should Know
The best treatment option will depend on what your pet ingested. Your vet might recommend bringing your pet in to give him IV fluids, induce vomiting, or administer activated charcoal (which can help absorb the toxin), says Barrack. She’ll also determine whether your pet needs further treatment. For instance, dogs who’ve eaten chocolate might need a temporary catheter to prevent toxins from being reabsorbed into the bladder.