These three DIY flannel projects—Christmas ornaments, hand warmers, and drink koozies—are incredibly simple, totally unique, and will yield big smiles this holiday season. Because homemade gifts are always the best kind.
(Brag your love of gardening with the Organic Life 2018 Wall Calendar, featuring gorgeous photographs, cooking tips and recipes, plus how to eat more—and waste less—of what's in season.)
Forget buying new ornaments. Simply give your old cheesy plastic ones a rustic makeover with flannel and twine.
Old flannel shirt
1. Cut several long thin strips from a flannel shirt.
2. Attach the end of a flannel strip to the ornament with hot glue. Continue to wrap and glue the strips around the ornament until it's covered.
3. Replace original ornament hook with twine. Hang on your tree!
Related: How To Make A Festive DIY Advent Calendar With Clothepins And Twine
Flannel Hand Warmers
These are simple enough to sew by hand and a total breeze to make with a sewing machine. Simply make a flannel pouch and fill it with rice. A few seconds in the microwave will make it nice and toasty. (Rice naturally holds on to heat, but you can use flaxseeds as well.)
Old flannel shirt
Scissors or pinking shears
Needle, thread, pins
1. Cut out two 4x4-inch squares from flannel shirt with scissors or pinking shears.
2. Lay squares on top of each other and pin together along three sides. Sew along the three sides, leaving fourth side open, then remove pins.
3. Fill hand warmer with rice through the remaining opening. Pin together the fourth and final side and sew shut.
4. To use hand warmer, microwave for 30 seconds to heat, then place in coat pockets to keep your hands toasty warm.
Related: 13 Best Natural Candles You’ll Actually Be Proud To Gift This Year
Flannel Drink Koozies
Koozies are notoriously ugly—but no more! Simply remove the cuff of a flannel shirt and slip it over a to-go cup or can.
Old flannel shirts
Cut off flannel shirt cuff along the seam. Slide over to-go cups, cans, or drinking glasses to protect your fingers as you sip.
Related: 23 Buzz Worthy Gifts For People Who Are Obsessed With Coffee