Houseplants and seasonal ornamental plants can be a great way to bring nature inside, brighten your days, and even help make your indoor air better to breathe But a few can cause problems for nibbling cats and dogs.
Related: How To Give Your Pets First Aid
Many of the reactions are minor; either because the plant isn’t intensely toxic or because it tastes so nasty that very little gets eaten. For example, says Tina Wismer, medical director at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, Illinois, poinsettias are over-rated for their toxicity, and nibbling those may just cause some “mild stomach upset,” no worse than what can be caused by eating spider plants, which many cats are attracted to.
But a few plants are bad enough for cats and dogs to cause serious reactions or even death if consumed. Click through to learn which houseplants are poisonous to pets.