Everything You Need To Know About Poison Ivy

Don't let fear of poison ivy keep you out of the garden. Here's how to get rid of it for good.

June 19, 2017
poison ivy leaves
OliverChilds/getty

Nothing takes the fun out of being outdoors faster than an encounter with poison ivy. It's the cockroach of the plant world: it regenerates readily, it's everywhere, and people loathe it. At least one member of the poison ivy clan (Toxicodendron, formerly Rhus) grows in every state in the continental U.S. Each region has its own varieties of poison ivy or poison oak, but all are perennials in the cashew family, and all cause a rash, blisters, and itchiness.

(Whether you're starting your first garden or switching to organic, Rodale’s Basic Organic Gardening has all the answers and advice you need—get your copy today!)

Advertisement
Advertisement

Both poison ivy and poison oak climb trees, sending out thick, hairy, aerial roots. Poison oak's leaflets are rounded. It grows as a vine or shrub. In spring poison ivy can grow as a groundcover, a shrub, or a vine. Emerging leaves have a red tint to their edges, while in summer "Leaves of three, let them be" is still the best way to identify poison ivy and poison oak. Poison ivy's leaves are pointed. During fall both poison ivy and poison oak grow in sun or shade, in wet or dry places, and turn vivid colors in fall. In early the plant's white berries are a good identifier once the leaves have fallen off.

How to avoid the plant

Wear long sleeves, pants, closed shoes, thick gloves, and even a mask when removing poison ivy and poison oak. Wash all clothes, even shoelaces (without touching them with your bare hands), after working near poison ivy and poison oak. Use hot water, detergent, and two wash cycles. Wipe down any surface that has come in contact with the oil, including tool handles, doorknobs, and shoes. Your pets aren't sensitive to urushiol, but if it gets on their fur and you pet them, you can get a rash, so you should also give them a bath if they've come into contact with the plant.

 

poison ivy rash
JodiJacobson/getty

How to treat the rash

Wash it away. Do not wipe the area with water—urushiol is an oil, so it does not dissolve in water, and wiping spreads the oil. Instead, rinse the affected skin with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, then with cold water. Over-the-counter topicals such as Tecnu, Ivy Complete, Zanfel, or Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap and Res-Q Ointment are also incredibly useful as they both remove the oil and relieve the itching. Without treatment, the infected area will blister within a few hours to three days. The fluid in the blisters will not spread the rash, but any clothing that has come into contact with the oil will. Oral antihistamines can also help, if needed. 

Related: Can A Banana Peel Soothe A Poison Ivy Rash?

Stock your medicine cabinet

All Terrain Natural Poison Ivy Oak Bar Soap, $9, Amazon.com

Marie's Original Poison Ivy All Natural Relief Soap, $15, Amazon.com

Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment, $12, Amazon.com

Tecnu Rash Relief Anti-itch Scar Prevention, $12, Amazon.com

How to get rid of poison ivy 

Poison ivy and poison oak spread by seed and by their vigorous root systems. They arrive in your yard by birds eating the berries and depositing the seeds, and, less frequently, in loads of mulch. If you have wooded or neglected areas surrounding your property, you probably have poison ivy as a neighbor, and given time, it will creep into your yard. Here's how to get rid of poison ivy in your yard without using chemicals in order to beat the rash even before it strikes: 

 

poison ivy plant
NoDerog/getty

Don't Make Space For It

Prevent poison ivy or poison oak from taking hold in the first place. If you are landscaping or tilling soil for a new bed or garden, don't leave the ground bare for long.

Target Seedlings 

Small infestations are more easily controlled than larger ones, because they have less-developed root systems, fewer stored food reserves in roots and rhizomes, and a smaller seed bank in the soil. Poison ivy can be readily pulled in early spring if only a few plants are involved. Look for those leaves of three, and, wearing long sleeves, long pants, and thick gloves, pull out the entire root system.

Related: Organic Weed Control Methods

Starve It Out 

As with all perennials, you must completely remove the root or the plant will resprout. Unfortunately, poison ivy roots can run underground for many feet before the plant reappears above ground. If endless digging is not appealing or an option, repeatedly cutting the plant to the ground eventually starves the root system and causes the plant to die. Plants climbing trees should be severed at the base. "Don't bother removing the vines from the tree; they don't do any harm," says Ray Samulis, county agricultural agent at Rutgers Cooperative Research and Extension. The weed is just using the tree for anchorage. It's not a parasitic relationship, says Samulis.

Smother It 

Cover the infested area with thick black plastic sheeting, and plan to leave it there for at least a year, possibly longer. Make sure the plastic isn't the type that degrades in the sun, and cover the edges with dirt to exclude all light.

Related: 8 Weeds You Should Actually Let Grow In Your Yard

Let Animals Chew It Up 

Grazing animals, especially goats, are not bothered by urushiol and can clean up an infested area. They won't take out the root system but will get rid of the topgrowth, weakening the plant overall.

Dispose of it

You can dispose of poison ivy and poison oak in plastic bags and put them out with the trash. The easiest way to do this is to put the plastic bags over your gloved hands, pull the plants into the bags, and then pull the bags inside out off your gloved hands, encasing the poison ivy inside the bag. Be nice to your garbage man and put the poison-ivy-filled bags into a larger, uncontaminated bag. Don't ever put poison ivy in the compost pile: the urushiol in poison ivy remains potent for years—even, in dry climates, decades. And never burn it: Breathing in smoke or soot from the plants may cause serious inflammation of respiratory mucous membranes.

Comments