2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium onions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder or chili seasoning
4 teaspoons ground cumin
3 cans (19 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Push the onions to one side of the pan, add the chicken and garlic, and sprinkle with the chipotle chile powder, cumin, and salt to taste. Cook, stirring, until most of the chicken is opaque on the outside, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Stir in 3 cups of the beans and 2 cups of the broth. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Partially cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the remaining beans and remaining 1 cup broth. Process to a smooth puree.
5. Stir the bean puree and half-and-half into the soup. Divide the soup among 4 bowls and serve hot sprinkled with cheese and cilantro.
If you want to prepare your own cooked white beans for this recipe, you'll need 4 1/2 cups (from 2 1/4 cups dried).
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 368.7 cal
Fat 8.4 g
Saturated fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 88 mg
Sodium 512.2 mg
Carbohydrates 28.1 g
Total sugars 2.6 g
Dietary fiber 6.8 g
Protein 43.2 g
For more great recipes, check out the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.