2 cups unbleached whole wheat flour
2 cups white whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons table salt
½ pound (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½" cubes
2 cups whole milk
¼ cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt.
2. Using two knives, cut cold butter into dry ingredients until pieces are pea-sized. Stir in milk and syrup until a dough just comes together. Adjust consistency, if needed, with additional flour or milk to make a sticky, shaggy dough.
3. Gather dough into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten to a disc, then roll into a ¾-inch-thick round.
4. Using a 2½–3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out as many biscuits as you can. Gather the scraps, reroll, and cut out remaining biscuits. Transfer biscuits to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Brush tops with melted butter and bake until tall and golden, about 15 minutes. Serve with carrot-maple and red wine butters, if you like.