CAULIFLOWER LEAF PICKLE
10 cauliflower leaves, cubed
1/3 cup grape seed oil
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
2 green chiles, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
1 fresh turmeric, finely chopped
6 fenugreek seeds, ground with a mortar and pestle
½ teaspoon asafetida (optional)
1 teaspoon table salt
10 curry leaves
½ cup lemon juice
1. In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and stir. Once the seeds begin to pop, add the green chilies and ginger. Reduce the heat to low and stir.
2. After about 3-5 minutes, add the turmeric and fenugreek seeds. Add the cauliflower leaves, and after 3-5 minutes, add the lemon juice and the salt.
3. Cook over low heat until the leaves are soft. Add the asafetida and curry leaves, cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
4. Cool the pickle, then place in airtight container in a cool, dry area, or in the refrigerator if you want to keep it over two days.
BROCCOLI CRÈME BRÛLÈE
1¾ cups heavy cream
1½ cups milk
½ cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for brûlée
1 large egg
4 large egg yolks
1 cup broccoli stems or scraps
4 tablespoons store-bought or homemade granola
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
1. Heat oven to 350° F.
2. Place the cream, milk, and broccoli into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
3. Blend the mixture and strain it.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup sugar, the egg, and the yolks until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color. Add the broccoli cream bit by bit, stirring continually.
5. Pour the liquid into six 7- to 8-ounce ramekins. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan.
6. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake just until the crème brûlée is set, but still trembling in the center, approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
7. Remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Remove the crème brûlée from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to serving. When ready to serve, sprinkle with the sugar and use a kitchen blowtorch to melt it and caramelize it.
8. Allow the crème brûlée to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Top it with granola and peanut mixture and serve.