- Huntsville-Madison County Botanical Garden, 4747 Bob Wallace Ave., Huntsville AL 35805, 256-830-4447. Railroad operates from mid-March through December, www.hsvbg.org/gardenrr.htm.
- Garvan Woodland Gardens, 550 Arkridge Rd., Hot Springs AR 71913. 800-366-4664. firstname.lastname@example.org, www.garvangardens.org
- Fairplex Garden Railroad, Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, Pomona CA. Contact the Fairplex Exhibits Department for dates, PO Box 2250, Pomona CA 91769-2250. 909-865-4231, www.fgrr.org.
- The Living Desert and Zoo and Gardens, 47-900 Portola Ave., Palm Desert CA 92260, 760-346-5694, FAX: 760-568-9685. www.livingdesert.org
- Walter Anderson's Nursery, 12755 Danielson Ct., Poway, CA. Contact David Ross, Manager, Walter Andersen Nursery, 858-513-4900. www.walterandersen.com
- Colorado Railroad Museum, Golden CO. Contact Alan Olson, 303-274-6092. The railroad operates primarily on Saturdays and special-event weekends, www.crrm.org
- Hudson Gardens, 6115 S. Santa Fe Dr., Littleton CO 80120, 303-797-8565, email@example.com.
- Epcot, Walt Disney World, in the German pavillion, Lake Buena Vista FL. 800-445-4932, www.disneyworld.com.
- Vines Garden Railroad, 3500 Oak Grove Road, Loganville GA 30052, 770-554-9697. Open Sundays 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. School field trips and daycare welcome with a reservation. www.vinesgardenrailroad.com
- Chicago Botanical Garden, 1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe IL 60022. 847-835-5440. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Sept. 3, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. after Sept. 3, www.chicagobotanic.org. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Nov. 25 through Jan. 1, 2012 (closed at 3 p.m. on Dec. 1 and 24, and all day Dec. 25). Exhibition tickets are available for the general public on October 19 online at www.chicagobotanic.org/wonderland and onsite at the Information Desk.
- Saunoris Brothers Nursery (nursery with garden railroad), 19600 S. Harlem Ave., Frankfort IL 60423. 815-469-3171, FAX: 815-469-4769.
- Wheaton Nurseries (nursery with garden railroad), 626 E. Roosevelt Rd., Wheaton IL 60187. 630-668-0947. FAX: 630-668-0966.
- Taltree Railway Garden, c/o Taltree Arboretum & Gardens, 450 W. 100 North, Valparaiso IN 46385, 219-462-0025, www.taltree.org
- Louisville Zoo, 1100 Trevilian Way, Louisville KY 40213. 502-459-2181. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April through Labor Day; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the remainder of the year. Trains run April 1 through November 1, weather permitting. www.louisvillezoo.org
- Minnesota GRS display, Wayzata Minnesota Depot, 402 Lake Street East, Wayzata MN 55391, www.mgrs.org
- Missouri Botanical Gardens, Kemper Center for Home Gardening, PO Box 299, St. Louis MO 63166. Contact Steve Cline, director, 314-577-9561. Trains run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily, April-October.
- Hartmann Model Railroad and Toy Museum, Town Hall Road, PO Box 165 Intervale NH 03845. 603-356-9922, FAX: 603-356-9958. Open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., www.hartmannrr.com
- Railroad Garden at the Camden Children's Garden, 3 Riverside Dr., Camden NJ 08103. 856-365-8733. 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily, www.camdenchildrensgarden.org
- Franklin Park Conservatory, 1777 E. Broad St., Columbus OH 43203, 614-645-8733, www.fpconservatory.org. Open all year. Railroad open from May-October.
- The Children's Garden Railway at The Oregon Garden, 978 W. Main St., Silverton OR 97381, 503-874-8100. Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
- Southwest Oregon Large Scale Trains display, City of Medford Railroad Park, Berrydale Ave., Medford OR. Open to the public 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month, April through October, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact Thomas Goossen, 541-665-1131, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania, 100 East Northwestern Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19118. 215-247-5777. Trains typically run Memorial Day through Columbus Day, then again late November through early January for a holiday display. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, till 8 p.m. on Thursday, www.morrisarboretum.org
San Antonio Garden Railway Society public layout, c/o Texas Transportation Museum, 11731 Wetmore Rd., San Antonio TX 78247. 210-490-3554. Trains run Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Evening hours during the holidays. www.txtransportationmuseum.org
Originally published in Garden Railways magazine, June 8, 2011