Why Even A Few Mold Spots In Your Home Is Bad News—And How To Get Rid Of It For Good

These 7 simple mold-fighting tactics will keep your family breathing easy.

January 6, 2017
window with mold
Burdun Iliya/ Shutterstock

Mold isn't all bad. It's key in a compost pile, for example, where it helps breaks down organic matter into nutrients usable by plants. In our homes, however, mold is fungi non grata—and it’s far more worrisome than a few unsightly black patches would lead you to believe.

In fact, one study found that children living in homes with water damage and visible mold were more 49 percent more likely to have asthma and 39 percent more likely to have nasal allergies. (Here are 6 alarming reasons why your allergies are getting worse.) They also had more wheezing problems than children in less-moldy homes. Children, along with the elderly and those with compromised immune systems such as cancer patients, are at greater risk for experiencing mold-related health symptoms.

Related: 7 Dirtiest Things In Your House

Some experts, though not all, even suggest that mold toxins that enter our bodies produce a state of chronic inflammation that is then be responsible for undiagnosed chronic symptoms that many people deal with (without knowing why) such as fatigue, muscle aches, and brain fog. 

The reason molds have the potential to cause health problems because they can produce allergens, irritants, and, in some cases, potentially toxic substances, says Laureen Burton, chemist and toxicologist with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Indoor Environments Division. “Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions,” she notes.

But don't reach for caustic mold cleaners or chemically loaded sprays to clear up mold in your house. Many household cleaning products contain respiratory irritants and other chemicals that can worsen your home's indoor air quality and jeopardize your health.

Related: What’s The Better Mold Cleaner: Lemon Or Bleach?

Make Your Home Mold-Free (For Good!)

The EPA has lots of advice for mold control. The key is moisture control; master that, and you won't even need to bust out a bottle of mold cleaner. (Learn how to make your own natural mold-busting cleaners from mild, safe ingredients.) Burton offers these prevention tips:  

  • Fix leaky plumbing. Repair bathroom and kitchen leaks and other building leaks as soon as possible.
  • Minimize dampness. Clean and dry wet or damp spots within 48 hours. And prevent condensation by warming surfaces with insulation, or increase air circulation. Turn on bathroom fans during showers and baths, and wipe water from stalls and tubs afterward. Dry wet towels promptly.
  • Maintain indoor humidity. Keep relative humidity below 60 percent, ideally 30 to 50 percent. (Buy a hygrometer—an inexpensive thermometer-like device that measures humidity.) Reduce air moisture level with increased ventilation (if outside air is cool and dry), or with a dehumidifier (if outside air is warm and humid).
  • Maintain your HVAC. Perform regular inspections and maintenance of your heating and cooling systems as scheduled.
  • Keep things clean and clear. Make sure all heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning drip pans are clean, flowing properly, and unobstructed.
  • Vent 'em right. Keep moisture-generating appliances, such as dryers, properly vented out of the house.
  • Don't let foundations stay wet. Provide drainage, and slope the ground away from the foundation.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Comments