But spraying a toxic pesticide will spoil your cookout, to say nothing of the damage it does to all the other living things it comes in contact with who are doing you no harm.
Try this cheap and easy trap instead. The homemade bait is sure to lure the nasty stingers away from your food.
- A large plastic bottle (2-liter)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 banana peel
- Approximately 4 cups of water
- Razor knife
1. Pour a half-cup of water into a large (2-liter) bottle. Add a quarter-cup of sugar and shake until it dissolves.
2. Add a cup of apple-cider vinegar and shake well.
3. Add a banana peel. (Decaying fruit attracts yellow jackets.)
4. Add more water until the bottle is about half full.
5. Cut a 3/4-inch hole in the top half of the bottle.
6. Place close to the hive or at least away from where you are.
Fact: In late summer, the population of a yellow jacket colony peaks at about 4,000-5,000 workers.