- A large plastic bottle (2-liter)
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 banana peel
- Approximately 4 cups of water
- Razor knife
1. Pour a half-cup of water into a large (2-liter) bottle. Add a quarter-cup of sugar and shake until it dissolves.
2. Add a cup of apple-cider vinegar and shake well.
3. Add a banana peel. (Decaying fruit attracts yellow jackets.)
4. Add more water until the bottle is about half full.
5. Cut a 3/4-inch hole in the top half of the bottle.
6. Place close to the hive or at least away from where you are.
Fact: In late summer, the population of a yellow jacket colony peaks at about 4,000-5,000 workers.
Learn more about organic pest control.