- 2 pounds winter squash (butternut, hubbard, kabocha)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3 large or extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated gruyere cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Cover a baking sheet with foil and brush lightly with some olive oil.
2. If using a big, hard squash like kabocha or hubbard, put it in the oven for 30 minutes, or until it has softened enough for you to cut it easily. Cut a 2- pound piece, cut away the seeds and membranes, and lay it on the foil. If using butternut squash, halve the squash, scoop out the seeds and stringy membranes, brush the cut sides with olive oil, and lay cut side down on the foil-covered baking sheet.
3. Bake for 40 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce easily with a knife. Remove from the heat.
4. Reduce the heat to 375ºF. Oil a 2-quart gratin or baking dish.
5. Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in the parsley, sage, and squash, and remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
7. Beat the eggs in a large bowl and whisk in the milk.
8. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste.
9. Stir in the squash mixture and the Gruyere. Season with salt and black pepper. Scrape into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
10. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned on the top and sizzling. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Advance Preparation: You can make this up to a day ahead and reheat in a low oven.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 316.3 cal
Fat 17.7 g
Saturated Fat 6.2 g
Cholesterol 181.2 mg
Sodium 266.1 mg
Carbohydrates 27.8 g
Total Sugars 7.3 g
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
Protein 14.9 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.