1. Pre-heat oven to 400˚F. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. In a separate bowl combine the flours and salt, then pour the mixture onto a work surface.
2. Make a well in the center and fill it with the yeast mixture. Slowly blend by pulling a little flour into the liquid with your fingers until all is incorporated. Knead dough five minutes until smooth and elastic.
3. Knead another five minutes, combining raisins and nuts. (If you have an upright mixer you can use a dough hook.) Cover and let rise on counter until the dough doubles in size, or overnight in refrigerator.
4. Cut into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a round by pressing it against your work surface with a circular motion.
5. Place each roll on floured parchment paper on a sheet pan. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until double in size.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown on top and bottom. Makes 24 rolls.
Nutritional facts per serving
Calories 140.5 cal
Fat 3.6 g
Saturated fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 294.4 mg
Carbohydrates 25.4 g
Total sugars 7.4 g
Dietary fiber 2.8 g
Protein 4 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder
Photo: Thomas MacDonald