1. In a large bowl, combine the carrots, green onions, cabbage, olive oil, cilantro and pepper; toss well. Let marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Meanwhile, place the noodles in a medium bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes, or until the noodles are softened. Drain well and snip into 2" pieces. Set aside.
3. Place about 2 tablespoons of the noodles and about 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture about 1" from the lower edge of each rice-paper round.
4. Sprinkle with the basil or mint leaves. Fold the bottom edge over the filling, fold in both sides and roll up tightly. Press to seal. Place on a plate; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve as a dipping sauce with the spring rolls.
To soften the rice-paper rounds before rolling them, fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip each rice-paper round into the water for 10 seconds, or until softened and translucent. Remove and let drain on a clean dish towel. (Do not stack the rice papers or they will stick together.)
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 187.2 cal
Fat 11.3 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 28.2 mg
Carbohydrates 23.1 g
Total sugars 1.9 g
Dietary fiber 1.4 g
Protein 0.6 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.