- 2 ⅓ cups (10¼ ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (5⅛ ounces) teff flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¼ cups (10 ounces) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup molasses
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
- 1½ cups apple cider
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
⅓ cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 10-cup-capacity Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, sift the flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, and cloves. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy and light, 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the fresh ginger and molasses and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of buttermilk; do not overmix.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, about 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow the cake to cool for 1 hour. Place a plate on top of the cake pan, invert the cake, and remove from the pan.
4. Bring the apple cider to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; boil until the cider is syrupy and reduced to about ¼ cup, 15 to 20 minutes. Sift the confectioners’ sugar over the reduced cider and whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thin, add up to 2 tablespoons additional confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Drizzle the cake with the glaze and sprinkle with the crystallized ginger.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Photo by Albert Elbilia
Originally published in Organic Gardening magazine, December 2013/January 2014