- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 large ears of fresh sweet corn
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- Pinch of fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 slices Niman Ranch bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Fresh Corn Salsa for garnish (recipe below right)
1. In a Dutch oven, bring the chicken stock to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Slice the corn kernels from the cobs and add to the chicken stock along with the garlic, onion, and thyme. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
3. Puree the corn mixture using a blender or hand mixer and return the puree to the Dutch oven. Add the cream and bring to a simmer over low heat.
4. Mix the cornstarch and cold water in a small cup and add to the puree. Stir to thicken.
5. Divide the soup among four bowls. Top with crumbled bacon and Fresh Corn Salsa.
Makes 4 servings
Fresh Corn Salsa
- 2 large ears fresh sweet corn
- 2 ‘Roma’ tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Slice the corn kernels from the cobs and place in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Combine the corn with the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes about 2 cups