- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 10 asparagus spears, cut into 1" pieces
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 can (2.5 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 english cucumber, chopped
1. Soak the wheat berries in the water overnight. Bring the berries, water, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain any remaining liquid.
2. Place the asparagus in a bowl with a splash of water and cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together the lime juice, mustard, pepper, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the artichokes, olives, tomato, cucumber, wheat berries, and asparagus, tossing to coat well. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Fat 1.6 g
Saturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 783.6 mg
Carbohydrates 31.2 g
Total Sugars 2.6 g
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
Protein 7.1 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.