- 2–3 cups cooked brown rice (see note, below)
- About 1 cup sushi vinegar (available at Asian food stores)
- 1 handful of your favorite greens
- 2 inches of a carrot, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite oil, such as extra-virgin olive oil, sesame oil, or grapeseed oil
- 1 handful of your favorite edible flowers
1. Add the vinegar to the rice and break up the rice by “cutting” into the rice and not mixing it. You don’t want to make it mushy.
2. While the vinegar is being absorbed by the rice, lightly toss the greens, carrot pieces, and oil together in a separate bowl. Once the rice has absorbed the vinegar, add the greens mixture and toss to mix.
3. Sprinkle the edible flowers on top and serve.
Note: Using day-old rice is the easiest. That way you don’t have to cool down the rice before adding the tender greens and flowers.
Jason and Haruka Oatis post recipes and farm photos on their blog, edibleearthscape.wordpress.com.