- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 24 large (21–25 count) fresh (preferably wild) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried, ground guajillo pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried, ground ancho chile pepper, divided
- 16 corn tortillas
- Chipotle Slaw (recipe below)
- Fresh Corn Salsa
- 2 limes, cut into 8 wedges
1. Combine 2 tablespoons of the chopped garlic, the salt, and the shrimp in a large zip-top plastic bag or medium bowl. Let marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. (Afterward, drain the shrimp if there is an abundance of liquid.)
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the chopped garlic, and half of the marinated shrimp. Turn the heat up to high and stir well to thoroughly combine.
3. When the shrimp begin to turn pink, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the guajillo chile powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the ancho chile powder; continue cooking until the shrimp is cooked, about 5 minutes. Place in a bowl and keep warm.
4. Wipe the pan clean and repeat steps 2 and 3 with the remaining shrimp.
5. Warm the tortillas and place four on each plate, using two tortillas per taco (to absorb the moisture from the slaw). Add a heaping spoonful of Chipotle Slaw to each taco followed by 3 shrimp. Top each taco with Fresh Corn Salsa and serve each plate with a lime wedge.
Makes 8 tacos (4 servings)
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.