• 6 pounds pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Place the pears, lemon juice, sugar, salt, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves in a large, heavy pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
2. Lower the heat and continue to stir. The pears will begin to break down after about 10 minutes, but you can help this process along by mashing with a potato masher or a wooden spoon.
3. After about an hour, remove the pot from the heat and blend the pear mixture in the pot with an immersion blender or transfer in batches to a standing blender or food processor.
4. Blend until the mixture reaches the desired consistency. Return to the pot, if necessary, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes longer, or until the butter mounds on a chilled spoon. Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
5. Check for air bubbles, wipe the rims, and seal. Process for 10 minutes, adjusting for elevation.