- 2 lb small potatoes, like Yukon Golds
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 2 tbsp grated Romano or Parmesan
1. Place the potatoes in a pot and fill with enough cold water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until just tender all the way through, about 20 minutes. Drain.
2. When cool enough to handle, use your palm to carefully smash the spuds just enough to break the skin and flatten the potatoes.
3. Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes in a single layer, along with the garlic and rosemary. Cook until the potatoes are deeply browned and crispy on one side, 7 to 10 minutes, then flip and repeat. Add the cheese in the final moments of cooking, so that it melts atop the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 224.4 cal
Fat 4.4 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 2.2 mg
Sodium 88.7 mg
Carbohydrates 41.7 g
Total sugars 1.4 g
Dietary fiber 3.1 g
Protein 5.9 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder.
Photo- Mitch Mandel