Prep: 22 min
Cook: 40 min
Total: 1 hr 2 min
- 3 1/2 pounds skinless chicken parts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot (21/2 ounces), sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 small tomatoes (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cold butter, cut into 2-3 pieces
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add the chicken, thickest side down, and cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
4. Turn and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to very low, pour off the fat, and arrange the shallot, garlic, and tomatoes around the chicken. Cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the wine or broth, cover, and cook until the breast juices run clear and a meat thermometer registers 170°F, 12 to 15 minutes.
7. Remove the breasts to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
8. Cook the remaining chicken, uncovered, until the juices run clear and a meat thermometer registers 180°F, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to the platter and cover.
9. There should be about 1/2 cup of the wine or broth mixture left in the skillet. If there's more, boil it down over high heat, or if there's less, stir in water, wine, or broth to bring it to 1/2 cup.
10. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and stir in the butter, parsley, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Pour over the chicken.
Make this dish ahead and refrigerate it in a covered container for up to 1 day or freeze it for up to 2 months. To reheat, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight, then bake it in a covered baking dish at 375°F until heated through, about 10 minutes. Drizzle with a little olive oil to replace lost moisture.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 288 cal
Fat 9.1 g
Saturated Fat 2.9 g
Cholesterol 138.4 mg
Sodium 602 mg
Carbohydrates 6 g
Total Sugars 2.1 g
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
Protein 41.8 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.