2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound skinless wild salmon fillet, bones removed, cut into 4 portions
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup frozen green peas
1 cup Arborio rice
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add salmon pieces and cook without turning until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Transfer pan to oven and cook until salmon just flakes when tested with a fork, about 10 minutes.
4. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium heat. Add peas, reduce heat, and cook until bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. With a strainer, scoop the peas into a bowl.
5. Transfer half of the peas to a blender and puree until smooth; set aside. Keep the broth warm.
6. In a large saucepan, toast the rice over medium heat, stirring often, until the rice has darkened slightly and has a nutty aroma, 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Add the broth 1 cup at a time, waiting until each addition is almost absorbed before adding more and stirring the rice frequently.
8. Before all the liquid has been absorbed, stir in both the pureed and whole peas, butter, and grated Parmesan cheese.
9. Serve salmon fillets atop risotto, or flake salmon into small pieces and stir into risotto for child portions.
Makes 4 adult servings or 6 kid servings.
Recipe from Start Fresh, by Tyler Florence.