- 6-8 carrots, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons plain grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 4 radishes
- 3 tablespoon fig vinegar
- 1/2 cup Salute Sante! Zinfandel grapeseed oil
- 6-8 white anchovy fillets (optional)
1/2 cup microgreens for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, toss the carrots with the plain grapeseed oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Place in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly brown and tender. Set aside.
2. Using a mandoline, shave the fennel and radishes into very thin slices.
3. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, Zinfandel grapeseed oil, and remaining salt and pepper and whisk until emulsified into a vinaigrette.
4. Compose the salad: Lay 3 or 4 pieces of carrot on a plate. Arrange the sliced fennel, radishes, white anchovies (if using), and microgreens as desired. Spoon a small amount of vinaigrette over the salad to dress. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Originally published in Organic Gardening Magazine, February/March 2014.
Photo: Matthew Benson