Prep: 10 min
Cook: 1 hr 5 min
Total: 1 hr 45 min
- 4 medium beets (about 1 1/2 pounds), ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges each
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups arugula (optional)
- 4 tablespoons (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Wrap the beets in foil and set on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, or until a knife easily pierces the beets. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Peel the beets, cut each into 8 wedges (wear disposable rubber gloves if you're concerned about the beets staining on your hands), and transfer to a bowl.
3. Meanwhile, combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until reduced by about half and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside.
4. Place the walnuts in a large nonstick skillet and cook over medium-high heat, shaking the pan often, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer to the bowl with the beets.
5. Add the oil to the skillet and return to medium-high heat. Add the pears and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the reserved vinegar mixture, the salt, and pepper to the beets, tossing to coat well. Place 1/2 cup arugula (if using) on each of 4 plates and top with the beet mixture and pears. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon blue cheese.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 301 cal
Fat 13.2 g
Saturated fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 6.3 mg
Sodium 552.3 mg
Carbohydrates 42.3 g
Total sugars 30.9 g
Dietary fiber 8.4 g
Protein 6.8 g
For more great recipes, check out the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.