Roast Chicken with Plum Glaze
- 1 (4-pound) chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter, soft
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup Plum Sauce, plus extra for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a 13-by-9-inch baking pan or sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Rub the butter all over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the entire bird with the plum sauce. Return to the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Glaze the bird one more time with the sauce and roast for 5 to 10 minutes. A thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of the thigh should register 150°F to 155°F. Remove from the oven and loosely cover the bird with foil. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Serve with extra plum sauce on the side.
Makes 5–6 servings
- 3 cups diced plums (from about 4 large plums)
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon five-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium high and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often, until the plums are very soft.
2. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a container and allow to cool completely before covering and refrigerating. This sauce will keep for about 5 days in the fridge.
Makes 1½ cups