1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Cook the slivered almonds in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Tip onto a plate and let cool.
3. In a saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water for 2 minutes. Stir into the boiling water. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Uncover and set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut off and reserve the tops of the peppers. Remove the seeds and ribs. Add the peppers and tops to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
5. In the same pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Stir in the garlic. Remove 2 tablespoons of the onion mixture and set aside.
6. Add the spinach to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until wilted and any water evaporates. Remove the pot from the heat. Add the feta, currants or raisins, almonds, and quinoa to the spinach mixture. Stir to combine. Arrange the peppers in a shallow baking dish. Spoon in the stuffing, mounding to fill, and replace the tops. Add 1/2" water to the baking dish. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
7. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and the reserved 2 tablespoons onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until thickened. Spoon the sauce onto plates and top with the peppers.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 326.3 cal
Fat 10.6 g
Saturated fat 2.3 g
Cholesterol 7.5 mg
Sodium 701.4 mg
Carbohydrates 49.6 g
Total sugars 16.3 g
Dietary fiber 8.9 g
Protein 13.8 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder
Photo: Mitch Mandel