- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 small, firm tomatoes of assorted colors (yellow, orange, green, brown), about 1 pound, each sliced lengthwise into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
1. Warm oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add mustard seed, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
2. Add vinegar and sugar; return pan to stove and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar melts. Stir in salt; remove from stove and cool slightly again.
3. Place half the tomatoes and pepper pieces in a sterilized quart jar. Add half the vinegar mixture. Put remaining tomatoes and peppers in the jar, then pour in the remaining vinegar mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 79.3 cal
Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 393.4 mg
Carbohydrates 13.1 g
Total Sugars 10.8 g
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
Protein 1.2 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.
Image: Craig Cutler