- About 1 cup uncooked brown or white basmati rice (enough to yield 4 cups cooked)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound okra (about 4 cups), stemmed and sliced into ¼-inch-thick pieces
- ⅓ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ to ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons wheat-free tamari sauce
- Optional: 4 large tomatoes, halved and scooped; chopped pulp (about 1 cup) reserved to mix in rice
1. Cook the rice according to package directions.
2. Heat a skillet to medium. Add the olive oil, okra, bell pepper, sweet onion, basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Sauté until crisp-tender (3 to 5 minutes).
3. Pour into a large bowl. Gently fold in the cooked rice and tamari sauce and carefully blend. Serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, stir in reserved chopped tomato and serve in tomato cups.
Makes 8 servings
Photography by Robert M. Peacock
Originally published in Organic Gardening magazine, June/July 2014