Total: 1hr 12min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups carrots, cut in rounds
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound thick boneless ham steak, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced Italian-seasoned tomatoes
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 3 cups cooked orzo
1. In a large pot set over high heat, combine the oil, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and red-pepper flakes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the beans, ham, tomatoes (with juice), and broth. Bring almost to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover partially and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the carrots are softened. Add the kale. Cover partially and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the kale is tender.
2. Ladle 7 cups into a shallow container. Let stand to cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days for use at another time or for a different recipe.
3. Meanwhile, stir the orzo into the minestrone in the pot.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 789.1 cal
Fat 12.7 g
Saturated fat 2.3 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 3369.2 mg
Carbohydrates 125.8 g
Total sugars 13.7 g
Dietary fiber 13.1 g
Protein 40.7 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.