- 2 limes
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon curry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 10 ounces shredded carrots
- 1 cup no-salt-added canned chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried currants or golden raisins
- 3/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Zest or finely grate one lime to produce 1 1/2 teaspoons zest, and set aside. Then juice both limes (you will need about 6 tablespoons of juice).
2. In a saucepan, combine 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, the quinoa, the water, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the curry seasoning, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the quinoa turns transparent and the liquid is absorbed. Cool and place in a large bowl.
3. Add the carrots, chickpeas, scallions, almonds, and currants. Toss.
4. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of lime juice, the zest, the remaining oil, the remaining salt, and the pepper; whisk until well blended. Pour over the quinoa mixture and toss. Divide evenly into four salad bowls.
Tip: If you can't find curry seasoning, make your own using 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 419 cal
Fat 16.8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 516.4 mg
Carbohydrates 60.7 g
Total Sugars 11 g
Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
Protein 11.7 g
For more great recipes, check out the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.