- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 tsps cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 3 tbps grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C white whole wheat flour (milled from white wheat grains)
- 1/2 C cake flour
Orange-Almond Angel Food: Substitute orange zest for the lemon zest and use 1/2 teaspoon almond extract instead of vanilla.
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Have a 10-inch tube pan or angel food pan ready. If the pan does not have "legs" around the edge, have ready a bottle with a long neck that is narrow enough to fit in the center hole of the pan.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until foamy. Gradually beat in the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until thick, soft peaks form. Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla.
3. Gently fold the flours into the egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, until incorporated. Spoon into the ungreased 10-inch angel food or tube pan. Bake for 50 minutes until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
4. Invert the cake pan either over the neck of a bottle or on the work surface if the pan has legs. Cool the cake completely before running a metal spatula around the edge and center, then inverting onto a cake platter.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Fat 0.1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 152.1 mg
Carbohydrates 30.2 g
Total Sugars 21.3 g
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
Protein 4.8 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.