2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the chicken, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes, or until tender and light golden. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Add the broth, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
5. Add the chickpeas and chicken. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring once or twice, for 8 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the rice, cover, and cook for 2 minutes longer.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the avocado, lime peel, and lime juice. Serve immediately.
You can cook the rice a day or so ahead. If not serving the soup right away, or if you're freezing it, leave out the avocado, lime peel, and lime juice. Add these ingredients right before serving so their flavors remain fresh
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 381.6 cal
Fat 12.7 g
Saturated fat 1.8
Cholesterol 43.9 mg
Sodium 1275.7 mg
Carbohydrates 42.9 g
Total sugars 4.8 g
Dietary fiber 8.8 g
Protein 25 g