1 cup whole grain kamut, spelt, or wheat berries
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
3 medium navel oranges
2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 medium bulb fennel, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
1. Place the kamut, spelt, or wheat berries in a sieve and rinse until the water runs clear. Place in a bowl with 2 cups of the water. Let stand for 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
2. Place the kamut, spelt, or wheat berries, the remaining 1/2 cup water, and the broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until tender and some of the grains have burst.
3. Drain in a colander and place in a medium bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes, or until cooled.
4. Cut off the peel and most of the white membrane from 2 of the oranges. Cut each orange in half through the top end and place the half flat on a cutting board. Cut the half lengthwise into 1/2" slices. Juice the remaining orange. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, oil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
5. Add the fennel, bell pepper, onion, and olives to the kamut, spelt, or wheat berries. Add the orange juice mixture and toss to coat well. Add the oranges and toss gently.
6. Serve immediately or cover and chill to serve later.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Fat 6.2 g
Saturated Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 396.9 mg
Carbohydrates 27.7 g
Total Sugars 6 g
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
Protein 4.4 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.