- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 4 large green bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare the rice according to package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, coat an 8" microwaveable baking dish with cooking spray. Set the bell peppers upright in the dish, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high power for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft. Set aside.
3. Place the almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes, shaking frequently. Set aside.
4. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the oil, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and honey. Cook, stirring constantly,for about 2 minutes, or until well blended (do not let it come to a boil). Set aside 2 tablespoons of this honey mixture.
5. In a bowl, combine the cooked rice, chickpeas, toasted almonds, and raisins, if using. Add the honey mixture from the saucepan. Evenly divide the honey-rice mixture and fill the bell peppers.
6. Drizzle with the reserved 2 tablespoons of honey mixture, cover with foil, and bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
7. Uncover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 372.7 Cal
Fat 11.4 G
Saturated Fat 1.2 G
Cholesterol 0 Mg
Sodium 569.4 Mg
Carbohydrates 61.3 G
Total Sugars 29.5 G
Dietary Fiber 8.7 G
Protein 10.5 G
Courtesy of Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.