- 1 cup organic flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fat-free Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated reduced-fat parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/4 cup organic canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, Cheddar, and Parmesan.
3. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute, oil, and hot-pepper sauce. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the bell peppers and onion. Evenly divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool slightly on a rack. Serve warm.
They're also wonderful cold.
Gudne suggests serving these delicious muffins warm with soup, chili, stew, or salad.
Nutritional facts per serving
Calories 166.6 cal
Fat 6.2 g
Saturated fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 5.5 mg
Sodium 354.1 mg
Carbohydrates 20.2 g
Total sugars 2.3 g
Dietary fiber 1.3 g
Protein 7.6 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder
Photo: Mitch Mandel