- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices (1/2 inch thick) cracked-wheat country bread, or 16 slices crusty baguette (sliced on the diagonal)
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped (wear plastic gloves when handling)
- Ground black pepper
1. Coat a barbecue grill or ridged grill pan with olive oil spray and heat to medium-hot. Using 2 tablespoons oil, evenly brush both sides of the bread slices.
2. Grill the bread, in batches if necessary, until one side has dark grill marks, and then turn to toast the other side. Transfer to a platter.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the tuna, celery, red onion, cilantro or parsley, lemon juice, jalapeño peppers, and black pepper to taste. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
4. Spread the tuna mixture evenly over the toast. If using the country bread, cut each slice in half.
Nutritional Facts per serving:
Fat: 7.9 g
Saturated fat: 1.2 g
Cholesterol: 12.8 mg
Sodium: 276.8 mg
Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
Total sugars: 0.5 g
Dietary fiber: 1.4 g
Protein: 12.9 g