Prep: 20 min
Cook: 12 min
Total: 42 min
- 1 lean boneless beef top round steak (12 ounces), well-trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed through a press
- 6 cups shredded mixed red and green leaf lettuce, romaine, or colorful, crisp mixed greens
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet white onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
1. Preheat the broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil. Coat the broiler-pan rack with cooking spray. Rub the steak on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon of the red-pepper flakes.
2. Broil the steak 4" to 6" from the heat source, turning once, for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness, or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center registers 145°F for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate.
3. In a large salad bowl, mix the lime juice, fish sauce, oil, sugar, garlic, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes with a fork. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the dressing over the steak on the plate and let the steak stand for 10 minutes.
4. Add the lettuce or greens, cucumber, onion, radishes, cilantro, and mint to the remaining dressing and toss to mix well. Divide among the 4 plates.
5. Cut the steak into thin slices on an angle and arrange on top of the salads. Spoon the steak juices over the top.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 225.9 Cal
Fat 10.6 G
Saturated Fat 2.2 G
Cholesterol 48.8 Mg
Sodium 639 Mg
Carbohydrates 11.4 G
Total Sugars 6 G
Dietary Fiber 3.3 G
Protein 22.1 G
Recipe courtesy of Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.