Total: 1hr 15min
- 2 medium (1 pound) eggplants, ends trimmed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup grated fresh mozzarella (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 ounces mild, soft goat cheese, such as montrachet, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- 25 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, loosely packed basil leaves
1 1/2 cups seeded and chopped yellow tomato
1. With a large sharp knife, cut the eggplants lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle the slices on both sides with salt and let them drain in a colander for 15 minutes to release excess moisture. Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a bowl, stir together mozzarella, goat cheese, 1 tablespoon chives, and salt and pepper to taste. Brush both sides of eggplant slices lightly with oil. Lightly coat a clean grill with cooking spray and heat to medium (or preheat broiler to high). Grill or broil eggplant 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden and seared. Season with salt and pepper, turn over, brush with more oil, and grill or broil 3 to 4 minutes more, or until eggplant just begins to soften. Remove and let sit 10 minutes.
3. Transfer eggplant to a baking sheet. Arrange basil leaves in slightly overlapping pattern across each slice of eggplant. Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese mixture at the narrow end of each slice, roll up cigar fashion, and secure each with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining eggplant. Arrange rolls, seam sides down, in a lightly oiled 9-by-13-by-2 inch glass baking dish and broil 4 to 6 inches below high heat, 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is just melted and bubbling.
4. Meanwhile, puree 1/2 cup chopped basil, remaining tablespoon chives, and 1 cup oil in a blender until smooth. Season with salt to taste. Transfer cooked eggplant rolls to serving plates with spatula. Scatter tomatoes around rolls and drizzle with basil oil.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 182.4 Cal
Fat 17.2 G
Saturated Fat 3.9 G
Cholesterol 8.8 Mg
Sodium 81.7 Mg
Carbohydrates 4 G
Total Sugars 1.5 G
Dietary Fiber 2.1 G
Protein 3.6 G
Courtesy of Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.