- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons dutch process cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons trans-free margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
To Make the Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Beat the egg in a small bowl until blended; set aside.
2. Combine the brown sugar, cocoa, flour, espresso powder, salt, and pepper in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in the milk and vanilla until smooth. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is hot and the sugar dissolves (do not boil).
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat; add the chocolate and stir until melted. Whisk about 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture into the beaten egg; whisk the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Cool to room temperature.
4. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Continue beating, gradually adding the granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir about one-quarter of the egg whites into the cooled chocolate mixture; fold the chocolate mixture into the remaining egg whites.
5. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Place the muffin pan in a large roasting pan; add 1 inch boiling water to the roasting pan.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until just firm when lightly touched (do not test with a toothpick as the cupcakes will still be soft in the center). Cool completely on a rack; chill, covered, for 8 hours or overnight.
To Make the Frosting:
1. Stir together the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, margarine, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk until creamy and spreadable, adding more milk as needed.
2. Loosen the sides of the cupcakes from the pan with a knife. Place on a serving plate. Frost the cupcakes.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 194.7 cal
Fat 6.7 g
Saturated fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 64.7 mg
Carbohydrates 37.6 g
Total sugars 32.5 g
Dietary fiber 1.6 g
Protein 3.6 g