Before Starting, decide on a flavor profile and then select the appropriate "main" aromatics to achieve it. Next, mix, shake, wait, and enjoy!
- 1/4-1/2 cup main aromatics (use larer amount if using produce)
- 1-4 tablespoons supporting aromatics (choose 2 to 5)
- 1-4 tablespoons bittering agents (choose 2 to 4)
- 1 cup high-proof alcohol
- 1 tablespoon sugar dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
1. Place the aromatics and bittering agents in a canning jar and add the alcohol. Seal the jar and shake thoroughly. Store at room temperature. Shake the jar and taste daily, for up to 21 days.
2. When the desired flavor is achieved, strain through a funnel lined with cheesecloth into a clean jar. Repeat as needed to remove any remaining debris. Stir in the dissolved sugar.
3. Securely close jar and store at room temperature. Use in cocktails, soda water, coffee, tea, and almost any sweet or savory dish. Best used within a year.
Spices & Herbs
- Allspice berries
- Caraway, coriander, and fennel seeds
- Cardamom pods
- Cinnamon sticks
- Fresh or dried ginger
- Juniper berries
- Dried lemon verbena
- Dried mint
- Black or white peppercorns
- Star anise
- Vanilla, extract or seeds and pods
- Barberry root
- Burdock root bark
- Black walnut leaf
- Dandelion root
- Gentian root
- Quassia bark
Photo: The Rutman Archive