Total: 1hr 5min
- 2 teaspoons organic peanut oil or walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped fennel bulb or celery
- 1/2 large green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each), cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2/3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 3 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
Substitute turkey for the chicken. For a spicier dish, add 1/2 small chopped hot chile pepper or ground red pepper. You can also toast the coconut.
1. Heat the oil and butter in a pot over medium heat until the butter is melted. Stir in the onion, garlic, fennel or celery, and bell pepper. Cover and cook just until translucent, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the chicken, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken has lost most of the pink color, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the curry powder and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Add the tomatoes and broth, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Serve with the nuts and coconut for sprinkling on top.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 158.1 cal
Fat 5.5 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 50.9 mg
Sodium 250.8 mg
Carbohydrates 5.2 g
Total sugars 1.8 g
Dietary fiber 1.7 g
Protein 21.6 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder
Photo: Mitch Mandel