- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole grain pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups berries such as blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Coat a baking sheet with organic cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, oil, and maple syrup. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
4. Coat a large nonstick skillet with organic cooking spray and warm over medium heat. Pour the batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls into the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, or until tiny bubbles appear on the surface and the edges begin to look dry. Flip and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden. Place the flapjacks on the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
5. Coat the skillet with cooking spray. Repeat with the remaining batter to make a total of 18 flapjacks.
6. Serve the flapjacks with the berries.
People with depression who take monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO inhibitors) should not use the raspberries in this recipe. Substitute additional blueberries for the raspberries.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 209.5 cal
Fat 4.7 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 37.3 mg
Sodium 476.5 mg
Carbohydrates 37.1 g
Total sugars 9.8 g
Dietary fiber 4.4 g
Protein 6 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.