- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups peeled, grated parsnips*
*Note: You can substitute carrots or zucchini with excellent results.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
To make brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom and sides of a 13" 9" baking pan with parchment paper, letting paper overhang on two sides; grease parchment.
2. Melt chocolate and set aside to cool. In mixer, beat eggs and vegetable oil until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Beat in cooled melted chocolate.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in nuts. Fold dry ingredients and parsnips into chocolate mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick stuck into center comes out slightly moist. Cool completely.
To make icing:
1. Melt butter and chocolate.
2. Add cocoa powder and sugar and stir over low heat until smooth.
3. Stir in cream, vanilla, and espresso powder. Let cool.
4. Spread icing on brownies. Use overhanging parchment paper to lift brownies onto cutting board. Cut into squares.
Makes 24 brownies