Prep: 5 min
Cook: 10 min
Total: 15 min
- 2/3 cup evaporated skim milk
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate (such as Ghirardelli), chopped
- 1 cup cubed angel food cake
- 2 cups fresh fruit (sliced kiwi, bananas, and mango*)
1. Combine evaporated milk, agave nectar, vanilla extract, and espresso powder in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook until mixture begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk in cocoa powder until well blended. Add chocolate. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Whisk until chocolate is well blended; pour mixture into a fondue pot to keep it warm. (Add more milk if mixture becomes too thick.)
3. Use forks or skewers to dip cake and fruit into chocolate.
*Note: If fresh seasonal fruits are sparse, try dipping dried fruits such as apricots, figs, apples, and dates.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 334.7 cal
Fat 13.7 g
Saturated fat 7.1 g
Cholesterol 12.2 mg
Sodium 206.8 mg
Carbohydrates 56.9 g
Total sugars 33.4 g
Dietary fiber 6 g
Protein 7.7 g
For more great recipes, check out the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.