1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Generously coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, combine the margarine or butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat for 2 minutes, or until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition, for 1 minute, or until thoroughly combined.
4. Add the applesauce and vanilla extract and mix again until thoroughly combined. Working in two or three batches, add the flour mixture, stirring after each addition, until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons 2" apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove to a rack to cool.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 156.7 cal
Fat 7.8 g
Saturated fat 2.4 g
Cholesterol 11.8 mg
Sodium 95.1 mg
Carbohydrates 21.4 g
Total sugars 14.2 g
Dietary fiber 1 g
Protein 2.1 g
Courtesy of the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.