Cook: 1hr 0min
Total: 1hr 20min
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup raspberry or strawberry preserves
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a food processor, process the almonds with 2 tablespoons of the sugar until finely ground. Set aside.
3. In a large, clean bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted. Gently fold in the cocoa powder and almond mixture.
4. Spoon the meringue into 11/2" mounds on the prepared cookie sheet. Using the back of a spoon, depress the centers and build up the sides of each meringue to form a shallow cup.
5. Bake 1 hour. Do not open the oven door. Turn off the oven and let the meringues cool in the oven. Store in an airtight container. When ready to serve, fill each with preserves.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Calories 58.9 cal
Fat 2.4 g
Saturated fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 11.8 mg
Carbohydrates 8.5 g
Total sugars 7.2 g
Dietary fiber 0.7 g
Protein 1.8 g
Healthy Recipe Courtesy of Rodale Recipe Finder
Photo: Mitch Mandel