1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoons chopped sweet white onion
1 tablespoon salsa
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large egg
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound lean ground turkey breast
4 small whole-grain hamburger buns, split
4 slices tomato
1. To make the guacamole: In a small bowl, mash the avocado with a fork until fairly smooth. Mix in the onion, salsa, lime juice, and salt. Cover tightly and set aside.
2. To make the burgers: Preheat the broiler. Coat the broiler-pan rack with olive oil cooking spray.
3. In a medium bowl, mash the beans to a chunky texture. Stir in the egg, chili powder, cumin, and salt until well blended. Add the ground turkey and mix first with a spoon, then gently with your hands, until well blended (mix lightly so burgers don’t get tough). With moistened hands, shape mixture into 4 equal-sized patties. Place on the prepared broiler-pan rack.
4. Broil the patties 4 to 6 inches from the heat for 6 to 7 minutes per side, until lightly browned, firm, and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Place the buns on the broiler pan and toast.
5. Place toasted buns on 4 plates. On the bun bottom, place a tomato slice and a burger. Spoon 2 tablespoons guacamole over each, cover with the bun top, and serve.
Nutritional Facts per serving:
Fat: 13 g
Saturated fat: 1.9 g
Cholesterol: 97.9 mg
Sodium: 830.9 mg
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Total sugars: 5.7 g
Dietary fiber: 10.6 g
Protein: 37.5 g